Smart Container - project proposal
The project aims to develop a small flexible “Smart Container” on the basis of future legal-, local requirements and trends which are related to a great part of the current supply chains concerning energy consumption, air and noise pollution during DC-, region-, and city distribution and the belonging security level.
The requirements for the transport vehicles (vans with hybrid- and/or electric propulsion) in combination with the maintainability of the cost, therefore ask for adjustments in the overall supply chain concerning:
- Extensive differentiation of products (low-high price, small-medium volume / container)
- Compaction of transport movements by combining with other suppliers of goods flows (reduction of property-leasing of commercial vehicles - contract with convenient transport companies)
- Shared storage with other companies (local DCs)
- Delivery / access 24-hours a day, 7-days a week (evening/night options for distribution)
- Adjusted higher-level of goods and transport means (shared transport and storage, possibly with evening/night distribution which increases the risk of theft, vandalism and illegal use)